For yoga teachers, yoga teacher trainees or yoga practitioners with at least a one year consistent practice
In this immersion we will explore in detail the anatomy and physiology of our body applied to practising and teaching yoga. All the areas covered are related directly back to the asana practice. The sessions are interactive and experiential with lots of group work and there is strong focus on using anatomy to make asana practices as inclusive as possible. A detailed manual is included.
The immersion is ideal for those with an established practice, who want to learn more about the human body, go deeper in their yoga practice and develop alignment cues that are accurate and inclusive. We will explore anatomy to a depth that is appropriate for teaching yoga.
In the morning session we will look at an overview of anatomy applied to yoga and in the afternoon session we will explore the lower limbs in detail.
Areas covered throughout the day include:
• An introduction to muscle looking at its structure and function and how we can apply the knowledge of stretch reflexes to deepen our practice
• The structure and function of bone and joints looking at why alignment is important and what limits our movement
• How a knowledge of fascia can impact our movement on and off the mat
• Anatomical language and how this can help us to remember the names of some of our muscles
• An exploration of our feet and ankles looking at their structure and function and how we can apply this knowledge on and off the mat
• Why our knee joints may be vulnerable to injury and how to support them
• A detailed look at the hip joints focusing on what makes each of us so unique
This immersion counts towards CPD requirements for Yoga Alliance US members (6 contact hours).
10.30am – 1.30pm + 2.30pm – 5.30pm
"The workshops with Andrew were fantastic. I really got so much from them. My own practice and teaching has become so much more informed." Kylie P
"For anyone practising or teaching yoga who is keen to increase their practical understanding of anatomy within yoga I can't recommend Andrew's training enough. Really accessible, inspiring and enjoyable." Anna T